Sunday, December 14, 2008

While at school the other day…

Friday, December 11, 2008

Oh, culture shock. I think I might have Seasonal Affective Disorder (appropriately acronymned SAD). I forgot my lunch today, so I ended up rationing the hot chocolate that I made for a very light breakfast in order to have something in my belly during lunch. Next up, tea as my afternoon snack, a little liquid something to fill the gaping maw of hunger that gnaws at my belly.

I’m irritated with English teachers who let 8th graders write English words they already know in Japanese (they’re colors, for sweet Peter’s love! Katakana to nihongo ii des? For colors?). It’s as though they have no idea that being able to understand English has a lot to do with being able to read it and write it.

I’m frustrated that someone complained to my boss about my washing machine being a little leaky. This someone had to call the landlord, who called the city hall, who called Margaret (her boss first) to translate, who called Ikushin Chugakko to tell them that they’d be calling to talk to me in a little bit. Then Margaret called. And such is the way of lodging a complaint in this great nation. I wanna punch whoever started that phone chain in the ear. Maybe SAD is making me angry.

I haven’t touched a piano in two weeks. Cranky.

Light at the end of the tunnel: it’s Friday. Tomorrow I’m going up to the countryside to celebrate a friend’s birthday. Woohoo for visiting someone who has to drive 45 minutes to a train station! I only have to walk for five minutes.

1 comment:

  1. Stage 2 is a jerk. Sorry for your loss...of happiness. I know what will help, good books. Read "The Host" by S. Meyer. I'm reading "Sunshine" now. Don't read "Brisingr" - BORING! Read "New Moon", "Eclipse", and "Breaking Dawn." Books are excellent ways to distract one from foreign lands. Tell your neighbors that you'll leak your washing machine right on their heads. billophu

    ReplyDelete